Thursday, March 3, 2011

Old Shows: Volume 2

 
When I was in high school and I finally got my license I came up with a weekly routine. I'd get off school on Friday, go straight home, eat dinner, then head to the First Capital Skatepark. I skated for years and loved to, but I was never any good. The skatepark offered more than ramps and self inflicted injuries. Most Friday nights had some sort of punk or hardcore show going on. There were times when I had no idea who might be playing. I walked in on Comin' Correct one night when I had no idea they were playing. Well I knew about this show. I had finally gotten in the habit of grabbing fliers and keeping myself updated with shows.

The Boils played our area what seemed like almost every weekend. I wasn't complaining though since I loved that band. Other than The Clancy Six, who sucked shit, I wasn't familiar with any of the other bands on this show. After watching the retards in The Clancy Six flail themselves around for 20 minutes I had my introduction to Phillys' The Curse. These guys were ex-Kid Dynamite and sounded like it too. Highly melodic fast paced hardcore that was catchy as shit. I still listen to the demo quite a bit that I picked up that night. They eventually released a self titled full length that I didn't get my hands on until a year or so ago and had tracks on the Philadelphia Sound comp.I need to get that demo out of my basement and upload it here.

Go! For The Throat were next, and like the description on the flier says these guys were "Gorilla Biscuits-esque" hardcore and a ton of fun. They had short and fast songs that were full of singalongs. No one really knew them at this show so their wasn't much for crowd reaction, but I knew I loved them right away. As I am writing this I am listening to their album Here and Now on Uprising Records. I picked it up this night nine years ago and still come back to it every month or so for a quick refresher. I'm not familiar with any other releases from them other than also being on the aforementioned Philadelphia Sound compilation. Speaking of that comp., the only bands on it are Paint It Black, The Curse, Go! For The Throat and Knives Out. I'm pretty sure it is still available so find that somewhere and enjoy it.

The rest of this show is kind of a blur to me. I vaguely remember The Forgotten and I saw The Boils so much back then that all those shows kind of blend together for me. I wish I had gotten to see The Curse and Go! For The Throat more than once. I never heard much from either after this show. I remember seeing a G!FTT reunion on Kill Your Idols last show in Philly, but other than that nothing at all. Things like this are the reason I liked going to shows so much back then. The internet was around, but I hadn't started using it for music purposes yet and came across bands this way all the time. Now before I get to a show I already know everything about the opening bands and have downloaded their whole musical output. That's just the way things are though, but I still miss the mystery of the opening band.

3 comments:

  1. Hard to believe that was a decade ago! Thanks for jogging my memory. I think we played at the bottom of a half pipe at First Captial. That was one of those shows where I did double-duty with G!FTT and The Curse. Probably slept well in the van on the ride home.

    Here's some live footage from that reunion show you mentioned:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shgXXAZ2HGQ

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlgc4xpOEPM&feature=related

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4Ny7FTmg4M&feature=related

    BK

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep all the shows took place right there in the same spot.....i loved that place

    i couldn't remember if this was 01 or 02.....either way it was awhile ago and i remember being young enough that i had to worry about getting caught for driving after the 11 o'clock curfew

    i saw those videos the other day when i was searching for G!FTT stuff before i wrote this.....wish i could have made that show

    ReplyDelete
  3. Craley:

    It seemed like a decent spot. I just remember watching kids skate while we played. In Philly, there's a spot in FDR Park where they do that kind of thing.

    As for the reunion show, sorry you missed it. Glad you were able to check out the videos. Thanks again for the posts. By the way, your dogs sound tough!

    BK

    ReplyDelete