Sunday, March 13, 2011

Go! For The Throat


I had mentioned Philadelphia's Go! For The Throat in an earlier post so I thought I'd share a little more about them. Their CD Here and Now has been a part of my constant rotation since seeing them nine years ago. If you didn't catch the earlier post, these guys play highly melodic hardcore. The easiest comparisons are their Philly counterparts Kid Dynamite and classic Gorilla Biscuits. The songs are short and fast, but still manage to be catchy as shit. I was going to upload the Philadelphia Sound compilation that features the line-up of G!FTT, The Curse, Paint It Black and Knives Out, but that will have to wait. I'll throw that up when I do a post for The Curse demo and full length. Until then enjoy Here and Now, hopefully you will enjoy it as much as I have over the years.

Download it here.

5 comments:

  1. Craley:

    Thanks for the post. I periodically search online to see if there's anything still out there on the band. It's coincidental that you wrote this only a couple days ago.

    Glad to see the record made a lasting impression. I always wonder what G!FTT could've done with some of the momentum we built up around our 2002 tour with Good Riddance and tracks like "Older Brother." Same with The Curse. Around the time of that demo, both bands played some awesome shows and met a lot of cool people. I definitely miss those days.

    BK

    ReplyDelete
  2. thats awesome that you came across this.....i always assumed i have had all of the bands material between the demo, here and now and the philly sound comp....am i right?

    also "not bad for an older brother" is probably my favorite song you guys did wish i had come across it sooner than i did

    ReplyDelete
  3. Craley:

    Thanks, man. Yeah, that's pretty much all that G!FTT pulled together over the four or five years we were together. There were some early demos we did for vocals; but those were never released (Colin, John, and I put down vocals for all the tracks that had lyrics at that point, pre-Ed).

    As for The Curse, the red demo was the only one I recorded with them. After that, Hellbent Records put out their EP and that was it. Dave Hause went on to play with Paint It Black and then The Loved Ones (one of The Curse's tracks later became exhumed as a TLO track on their first full-length). As for Colin from G!FTT, he also went on to play with Paint It Black and stuck it out with None More Black. I think "Icons" is one of the best hardcore punk records I've heard in a while, by the way, if you're into NMB. And, on the topic of awesome hardcore punk records, you should also check out Lighten Up!’s “Absolutely Not” LP if you haven’t already (featuring vocals by Perry, a longtime G!FTT friend and roadie). Ed and I assisted with back-up vocals and mixing, and Colin laid down a couple guitar tracks. That record really holds a special place for me.

    BK

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks a lot for this album. Really good stuff. Would love to hear the curse stuff. been trying to find it,but no success

    ReplyDelete
  5. just uploaded The Curse EP and Six Song Demo

    ReplyDelete