Sunday, February 27, 2011

Zodiac Killer Records

Due to my "job" writing reviews for Stereokiller I've come across many bands I wasn't familiar with that I may not have otherwise come across. The majority have probably been really terrible bands, but there have been a handful of great ones too. After having one of the guys in Copstabber send me their album Officer Down! for review I started getting a bunch of releases from their label Zodiac Killer Records.

Officer Down! very quickly became my favorite record of 2010. Every time I mention this album I always mention the track "More Abortions", the catchiest song about abortions ever. Anyway, I've had a lot of Zodiac Killer CD's show up at my door since this summer and have gotten really into the bands I've heard.

Most recently I've discovered bands like Whiskey & Knives, Holley 750, The Antares, Hooked On Southern Speed, The Hip Priests, and Sonic Negroes. Most of the bands have a pretty similar sound of guitar driven punk rock with a heavy rockabilly influence. That isn't to say the bands sound alike though, so far each have had their own unique qualities that made them enjoyable. With the exception of Medicated Motherfuckers Relapsed,  which I thought sucked.

The best bands I've come across have fortunately been from my area. The Reticents, while now defunct have an awesome hardcore release with EP I & EP II. As I mentioned before Copstabbers Officer Down! rules and makes hardcore punk as fun as it gets. Disguster and Flat Tires also put out some awesome records. I'm slowly building up my Zodiac Killer collection, but I am looking forward to adding a lot more. This stuff has gotten me out of my usual hardcore saturated playlists by adding a whole lot of new punk rock.

Check out the label and see what Zodiac Killer Records is all about. They really do release something for everyone in the punk rock scene.

2 comments:

  1. Reticents not quite defunct. They're playing shows sporadically and will be opening for OFF! on March 25th.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah i was pretty damn pleased to see them added to the OFF! show.....i'll be there but hopefully they play a lot more

    someone from the band had recently posted on dcshows.net that they were doing shows again.....must have been after i wrote it

    ReplyDelete